This weekend a good friend of mine came over for breakfast & I thought something different like apple & cinnamon muffins would be fun. It turned out that they were her favourite, so we made them together, and they went down well. It’s a simple recipe that doesn’t take too long. The only thing that is a bit time consuming is the stewing of the apples.
1 cup castor sugar
10ml baking powder
2 cups cake flour
zest of 1 lemon/orange
60ml lemon/orange juice
Apple & Cinnamon mix:
4tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
- Peel and cut apples into small cubes, then place them in a pot with the sugar and cinnamon. Stir until apple are soft.
- Heat oven at 180ºC.
- Grease muffin tray.
- Add orange/lemon juice & zest to milk (it will curdle, this is fine).
- In electric mixer, whisk butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Beat in the baking powder and salt.
- With spoon, fold in half of the flour and then half of the milk into the batter; repeat.
- Fold in apple & cinnamon mix.
- Spoon into muffin tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove muffins from tray and place on cooling rack.
Makes 12 cupcake sizes or 6 muffin sizes.
It may look like it has curdled but that’s just form the juice and zest, no need to worry.
Depending on how much of a citrus taste you want you can adjust the lemon/orange juice.
Let me know if you try this recipe.